Wednesday, March 18, 2009

St. Patrick's Day in Oz






You'd think that in a country where drinking is...a national pastime and seems to be competitively, that St. Patrick's Day is...just another day. Ok, I'm joking! It is as big a deal here as in the US, much bigger than it is in Ireland.

To paraphrase Lloyd Bridges in Airplane, "I guess I picked the wrong country to stop drinking in."

Actually, I did go to Dicey Riley's one of the local Irish Pubs right after work at 4:30 and as you can see from the pictures, it was hopping! Someone I ride with on the train walks by there in the morning and said it was opened for business and the St. Patrick's Day crowd was starting! I had a couple of Guinness and went straight home on my usual train. I did go to my usual local pub, The Charles Hotel, but it was a typical weekday night. The usual 3 or 4 people playing the ponies and dogs were there but nothing green.

There was a group of young adults heading up the tracks and I asked if I could take their picture for my blog. They were already feeling pretty good and one young lady was already so gone, I was worried if she would fall onto the tracks. Reminded me of Melbourne Cup Days where so many people dressed up (similar to our version of Easter) and went to the local racetrack to booze it up, watch the local ponies then attempt to watch the Cup on the big screen. Most had to be carried home and apparently is great entertainment if you're riding the train at the right time or drive along the track as they have to cross this main road to get to the train station. Lots of fun!

Keep in touch, read and comment. I really do appreciate it.

1 comment:

JG said...

I'da been hanging with the ladies myself... to each his own.