Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Memoirs of a former Ex-Pat



As you may know, I'm back in the US of A. Reluctantly in so many ways as I wish I had done more exploration of that great country/continent while I was there. Who knows, while they say the US economy is improving, unemployment is twice that of Oz (and working here just isn't as much fun as it is abroad = very limited time off). But, getting home felt good. Seeing the in law half of the family was a great way to spend the holidays and doing that in Sunriver is the icing on the cake. Or in this case, the snow on the winter wonderland. I recommend getting a condo for family get togethers there if you can.

Now the job search begins. Hopefully I'll be able to find something worthwhile very soon. David, who I worked with at Aero Metric found a job in Iowa after a 2 year search! Congratulations to him. A workshop I attended put on by the State of Washington on how to apply for jobs with the State (although most of the presentation was universally applicable) indicated that at this time, an 8 to 9 month job search is typical. I may just apply for work back in Oz as they are scrambling to fill positions in many fields, especially in mining. A truck driver there can make about $80,000 per year!

I do miss Oz already and maybe will go back. It does depend upon how this country and the economy shakes out in the next few months. So, if you know of a good job opening in engineering sales and marketing or project management, let me know.

I was joking about the 'memoirs' portion as I don't know if I can really say "a yank IN Oz" while I'm back home. I will add more posts as I've been somewhat lazy, I mean, busy in my last days in Oz so neglected further posts.

I am deeply appreciative of all the friends I've made while in Oz. Mark and Kath showed me so much kindness and introduced me to so many different areas around Wollongong and really got me into the local 'scene.' And Jo, I can't say enough good things about this incredible kind and giving woman. I think if anyone tries to picture an Aussie woman, Jo would certainly fill that vision. Tough and tender, a loving mother and can be a mother, but overall a wonderful human being. Thank you, Jo.

I will return to Oz someday. Soon, I hope. Until then, I'll add more pictures and stories to fill this space.

Crikey!

1 comment:

Madmapper said...

Welcome back! I wish you good fortune in finding a job quickly. With your experience and extensive connections (take advantage of them) you'll hopefully have no problem finding something. If you need a reference, I would be honored to give you one my friend. Good luck.